Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bio from Celtic Woman.com  (Read 19632 times)
D
« on: May 29, 2009, 12:44:30 PM »

Dermot Kiernan Biography

Dermot is a native of Kells, Co Meath. He began his musical training on the piano and the classical accordion at the age of 6 under the tuition of John Chilton and from there went on to study with Patricia Kavanagh at the Royal Irish Academy of Music up to ARIAM standard. He has also studied voice with Ms. Mary Brennan RIAM and currently studies with Collette McGahon at the DIT Conservatory of Music.

Dermot graduated with a B MUS (Hons) from NUI Maynooth majoring in performance in 2004 and in 2006 graduated with a Masters Degree in Early Music Performance and Musicology from NUI Maynooth. From there he went to study Medieval Performance under Benjamin Bagby and Katarina Livljanic at the Sorbonne, Paris from 2006-2007.

Dermot has a vast experience in the world of choral music and has worked with many choirs and ensembles both in Dublin and Paris including Christchurch Cathedral Dublin, The Palestrina Choir Dublin, The Sorbonne Scholars, Paris and The American Cathedral Choir, Paris.

Dermot has been touring with Celtic Woman since February, 2009.

Questionnaire:

What was the first record that sent a shiver down your spine?

I would have to say Queen's A Night at the Opera. I will never forget the first time I heard Bohemian Rhapsody. It completely blew me away as did the rest of the album

What was your first professional gig/show?

I used to sing as a soloist at weddings and funerals as a kid. I guess I must have been about 7 or eight when I started.

What/ who are your influences?

I guess my parents, especially my mother. She always encouraged my brothers and I to become involved in music from a very young age. Musically, I would be strongly influenced and would listen to quite a lot of early and renaissance music.

When did you first start performing?

I began playing the piano from the age of 8 and from there I played the classical accordion up until finishing my primary degree in university. Many people are surprised by the fact that I didn't really start singing professionally until my late teens.

What is your favourite Celtic Woman number?

I would have to say Carolina Rua. It's a piece I probably should have known before joining Celtic Woman but love it ever since I discovered it. I also love listening to The Voice and Nella Fantasia.

What achievment are you most proud of?

Graduating with a Masters Degree in performance from University. Playing Radio City NYC with Celtic Woman.

What future ambitions do you have?

To be successful in the world of Medieval/Early and maybe some day, in the not too distant future, direct my own ensemble.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 12:21:50 AM by Don » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: