Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Roísin Dempsey  (Read 4978 times)
D
« on: April 11, 2008, 02:15:57 PM »

Anúna "Christmas Songs" album: http://www.christmasreviews.com/wanuna.shtml

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 12:59:29 AM by Don » Logged
MeavFan

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 08:36:12 PM »

I wish her good luck!

greenfire6

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 10:43:55 PM »

I’ve been listening to Róisín Dempsey’s latest CD Surrounded off ‘n on for several weeks. Words to adequately describe this beautifully created album escape me still.

What I can write is Ms Dempsey has an incredibly beautiful voice- clear, as a bell and she is able to deliver a classical song with an air of formality then “bring it to hearth and home” and sing a trad or standard like I imagine generations of Irish mothers and grandmothers have sung to their children.

Róisín’s voice is very polished. In struggling to do her justice I would compare her to Méav Ni Mhaolchatha- similar in quality but please don’t misunderstand- Róisín voice is delightfully distinctive.

I’m no music expert but I sense she sings Ava Maria the way the writer intended it to be sung. Harmonizing with herself and backing vocals by Mr Eunan McDonald on Jesu Joy… is sweet and her musician friends give that song a very Celtic treatment. Did you know In The Bleak Midwinter has lyrics? I didn’t so this is a real treat for me to first hear them sung by Róisín.

I won’t attempt to comment on every track except to add the song list is wonderful and the musical accompaniment is superb throughout. Familiar guest contributors from Celtic Woman are Des Moore (classical guitar) and, LOL, surprise, Nicky Bailey (percussion).

Please consider a purchase and discover your own appreciation.

On my disc the album is bookended by Deus Meus at track 1 and track 13. The twelve listed in the liner notes begin with Deus Meus and end with The Blessing. This is probably a decision Róisín made too late for the printing of the liner notes. Her website doesn’t list the tracks for this album yet so I was unable to find a quick answer there. I have subsequently found out that this “bookending” is apparently intentional and not a production error.

Or the liner notes are a misprint. Regardless this thing is a keeper!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: